A man after receiving a help as rent th Columbus
A man after receiving a help as rent thanked with a gesture of gratitude
Many people have lost their jobs due to coronavirus and struggle to pay for basic life necesities, but they are receiving financial lifeline.
And on Friday, an extraordinary gesture of gratitude was seen.
Early Friday morning, a line of people was formed outside of the Columbus Urban League.
Among these needy people was one person named Ryan Griffin.
He lost his hotel job in March due to pandemic.
He says that he daily fear if he will be able to provide for his son.
"It's scary. And it's hurtful. When I look at him and think I might not be able to feed you or keep a roof over your head, you know? It makes me — it makes me sad," he said.
On Friday, Urban the Urban League distributed over 100 checks, from amounts ranging from $500 to $1,000. But this was only the start as they say they have more than 600 applications waiting to be processed.
Rhonda Gaines, who manages the housing stabilization program, said, "We've received over 5,000 phone calls since we started our program in March. Over 5,000. We get maybe 200 calls a day for rental assistance coming from people who've never applied for assistance. They've never applied for unemployment, they've never applied for anything. And they need help."
Griffin said that for such help, a small piece of gratitude is the least he can do.
The hotline number is 614-484-9111: https://www.cul.org/
Other News by This Author
A 19-year old suffers gunshot wounds after robbery in Southwest Columbus, police looking for the suspects
As per police reports, two males approached a 19-year old victim near the 1600 Block, Belvoir Boulevard and demanded money and after taking the money, they shot the victim twice.
The police reacted after they received a call from Doctor's West Hospital, after 4 pm, where the victim was seen suffering from gunshot injuries in his upper arm as well as lower body.
If anyone is aware of the incident and has any detail, he/she can contact Central Ohio Crime Stoppers ((614) 461-TIPS) or Columbus Police Felony Assault Unit ((614) 645-4141).
High school football playoff expanded from 8 to 12 teams per region
High School Athletic Association Board of Directors had allowed a higher number of teams to compete for a state title next year under an extended high school playoff.
The board had the voting on Wednesday and decided that football playoffs will be expanded from 8 schools per region to 12 schools per region from the 2021 season.
In the first round, the top four seeds will not have to compete anymore till quarterfinal, and No. 12 seed will play at the No. 5 seed, No. 11 at No. 6, No. 10 at No. 7, and No. 9 at No. 8.
According to OHSAA, last year, 709 schools in Ohio played 11-man football. After the expansion, the total number of qualifier playoffs will increase to 336 from 224.
“We still have details to work out regarding the format and specific season dates, but this vote by the Board gives us the green light to finalize those details for 2021,” said Beau Rugg, Senior Director of Officiating and Sport Management for the OHSAA and the Association’s football administrator. “We are thankful for the Board’s support on this proposal, which will bring all the great things of playoff football to 112 additional schools and communities.”
The final in 2021 is expected to be held between Dec 2-5, as decided earlier.
Schools will still be permitted to play ten regular-season games.
Seven-year-term as Bucyrus Police chief to end on June12, David Koepke announces retirement
A spokesman for the police department informed that Bucyrus Police Chief, David Koepke is retiring.
Koepke declared his retirement on Tuesday, during a city council meeting. For about seven years, he has served as police chief and June 12 would be his last day as the chief.
In the wake of resigning, Koepke will go to fill in as a program instructor and coordinator with the criminal justice program and the Ohio Peace Officer Training Academy at North Central State College.
Koepke talked with 10TV about his experience being determined to have coronavirus a month ago. The division says Koepke has wholly recuperated from the sickness.
Other News Columbus
Hilliard senior graduates with joy after battling brain cancer
Most of the people take their senior year and graduation for granted, but it was not right for Leanna Ramirez.
In March 2017, Ramirez was diagnosed with brain cancer, and after that, it was all about treatment. She had two surgeries, four rounds of chemo, and 33 rounds of radiation. There is a 50/50 chance of tumor growth in the coming years.
But she is still here and alive and happy.
Like, different people have bucket lists Ramirez has "I Lived" list. This list includes going to Times Square for New Year's Eve, white water rafting in Colorado, going to music concerts, and a trip to Hawaii, all thanks to generous donations.
Her parents, John and Janet, know that every day is very precious for her.
"Yeah, there are still moments, though, that we have that you know...," Janet said. "But that's why we do this."
Ramirez came to the school and jumped out of her van to receive her high school diploma. She was congratulated and cheered with a rose.
"You win by how you live, every day," Janet said. "That's how you have control. That's how she has control. We could let this get us down, or we can celebrate every little step. We're just going to celebrate every little step."
Labour Day Festival in Canal Winchester cancelled due to safety concerns amid COVID-19
The Canal Winchester Labor Day Festival set to celebrate 100th anniversary, scheduled from 5th to 7th September, is cancelled. The organizers of this celebration justified the decision as safety concerns during the pandemic COVID-19. Mike Coolman, the Festival Vice-President, stated on behalf of the board of directors that it was not an easy decision but essential and a responsible decision.
Generally, this festival in Canal Winchester attracts large crowds and brings in music, food, midway-rides, Frame Car show and the renowned Labour Day Parade. Also, the organizers have begun planning for the following year’s festival, which might take place from 4th to 6th September.
Former state basketball player Mike Conley donates $200,000 to help medical staff and frontline workers
Mike Conley, a former Ohio State basketball player, had donated $200,000 to people who made him what he is now, those fighting with the pandemic.
He is currently Utah Jazz guard, and his donation "will address food insecurity, homelessness and remote learning needs exacerbated by COVID-19," according to the release from the team.
The donation from the player will be distributed among the Utah Food Bank in Salt Lake City, CodeCrew in Memphis, Tennessee; Community Shelter Board and the Columbus Urban League in Columbus, Ohio; the Indianapolis Public Schools Foundation in Indianapolis; and the New Haven Missionary Baptist Church in West Helena, Arkansas.
Community Shelter Board would use the donation from the former Ohio State's player in Columbus by providing masks for every staff member and people in the homeless system. It will also be used to provide personal protective equipment to staff working at isolation centers and quarantine shelters for COVID-19.
The donation by Conley is a part of the "Acts of Caring" platform of NBA Together, aiming to make the NBA reach all the critically impacted parts of society due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Conley won the NBA HORSE Challenge last month, which included a donation of $200,000 by State Farm to charities involved in Coronavirus response efforts on behalf of participants.
Other News United States Of America
A man from Austin, Texas found dead in Rochester on Tuesday night
A man from Austin, Texas, was found dead on the southeast side of Rochester, New York, and police are searching for the suspect.
According to Police officers, policemen responded at around 8:45 p.m. to Boardman Street off Monroe Avenue on Tuesday.
During the investigation, a large portion of the residential street was closed for traffic.
The victim as 56-year-old Todd Hamilton and Hamilton belonged to Texas on Friday morning. Police are unable to find his connection with Rochester.
According to police, it was not a random act of violence.
If you have any information about the murder or anything related to the incident, you should call the Rochester Police Department’s Major Crimes Unit at (585) 428-7157 or Crime Stoppers at (585) 423-9300.
Texan star Matthew McConaughey donated masks to rural hospitals in need
Interstellar star, Matthew McConaughey is providing masks to rural hospitals in need.
Lincoln had donated more than 110,000 masks for some rural hospitals which are in need.
According to a Facebook post by him on Thursday night, the star born in Texas and his wife loaded a pickup truck with boxes containing masks and are “hitting the road to get to rural hospitals in need across Texas.”
He made this donation after the Texas Agriculture Commissioner Sid Miller requested emergency funding for the rural hospitals.
According to Miller, “rural Texans can’t afford to lose their hospitals right now.”
McConaughey did not clarify which hospitals will receive the donations.
Many Counties in Philadelphia will move to yellow phase by June 5 said Gov. Wolf
Gov. Tom Wolf announced that Philadelphia has a new timeframe for the reopening, which includes the reopening of Pennsylvania's 18 counties. As these counties were strictly locked down as a response to coronavirus, these will move from red to yellow by June 5.
The city with Bucks, Chester, Delaware and Montgomery counties, will join other provinces which had already started reopening the businesses and services under the yellow phase of state reopening.
From May 29, eight counties will move to the yellow phase: Dauphin, Franklin, Huntingdon, Lebanon, Luzerne, Monroe, Pike, and Schuylkill, and the remaining ten counties will move to yellow on June 5.
In his announcement, Wolf also announced that 17 more counties would move to green phase from May 29, including Bradford, Cameron, Clarion, Clearfield, Crawford, Elk, Forest, Jefferson, Lawrence, McKean, Montour, Potter, Snyder, Sullivan, Tioga, Venango, and Warren.
Even the yellow phase will be strictly implemented as many businesses will continue to remain closed in the yellow period. These closures include gyms, casinos, theaters, and other indoor recreational, wellness, and entertainment venues, and no gathering of more than 25 people will be allowed.
Restaurants and bars are only allowed for limited carry-out or delivery. Businesses also have to follow the state and federal guidelines of sanitization and social distancing.
Other world news
Pdte. Maduro denuncia infección intencionada de migrantes venezolanos con Covid-19 desde Colombia - teleSUR TV
En Venezuela se reportan hasta el momento 1.121 casos, 475 hospitalizados, 357 en centros de diagnóstico integral, 17 en clínicas privadas, 262 recuperados y 10 fallecidos.
El presidente de Venezuela, Nicolás Maduro, acusó este domingo a su par colombiano Iván Duque promover la infección intencional de migrantes venezolanos que regresan a su país para cambiar la curva de contagio que se había mantenido controlada en este territorio desde el inicio de la pandemia de Covid-19. LEA TAMBIÉN: Venezuela agradece a Irán envío de buques tanques en el marco del bloqueo de EE.UU. El mandatario venezolano, en una reunión ministerial televisada, alertó sobre el aumento de los casos de contagios importados, en especial provenientes de Colombia. Informó que el número de infectados en Venezuela aumentó a 1.121 casos de coronavirus para este 24 de mayo, de los cuales 75 por ciento son casos provenientes del exterior. Maduro resaltó que, de los 843 casos procedentes del extranjero, unos 433 proceden de Colombia, mientras que 95 vienen de Brasil, 49 de Perú, 36 de Ecuador, entre otros países. Este domingo la cifra de personas infectadas con coronavirus fue de 111, la más alta desde que se detectó el primero caso en Venezuela. De este número, 93 casos fueron importados o por contacto internacional, 73 de ellos, proveniente específicamente de Colombia. En tanto, 18 casos fueron de transmisión comunitaria. El mandatario venezolano alertó sobre un nuevo foco de contagio registrado en el Mercado Las Pulgas en el Zulia, estado fronterizo con Colombia. Sobre la situación sanitaria del país, Maduro expresó que existe la cantidad de camas necesarias para los pacientes que necesiten ingreso hospitalario como consecuencia de la Covid-19. Sin embargo, hizo un llamado al pueblo venezolano a cumplir con las medidas de seguridad e higiene necesarias para evitar el virus. Recalcó además que Venezuela ha realizado más de 804.000 pruebas diagnósticos para descartar la Covid-19 en el país, lo que convierte a la nación de América Latina con el mayor número de pruebas por millón de habitantes.