13:15 9 October
LAUSD's investigation has found academic misconduct by Narbonne football player
LAUSD's investigatio general United Sta Los Angele
Los Angeles, United States Of America
A Los Angeles Unified School District inquiry into an accusation of academic misconduct against a Harbor City Narbonne football player found that a player on last year's squad was disqualified after October 4 because he did not have a grade point average of 2.0, according to Michael Romero, Superintendent of Regional District South.
On Tuesday, Narbonne reported to the City Section that there was a breach of LAUSD's academic policy concerning the player last season. It will now be up to City Section Commissioner Vicky Lagos to enforce the CIF regulations to decide whether any sanctions are justified against the squad this year, such as a ban on playoffs.
Lagos said that she would be "reviewing and analyzing" and consulting the CIF legal staff. One of the first objectives would be to see if the player was in a game after October 4. The City Section has disqualified teams from playoffs in the past if ineligible players were found in the prior year.
Narbonne is the five-time champion of the City Section Open Division and is very much in favor of winning a sixth time. The Gauchos are 6-1 overall and won the start of the Marine League versus San Pedro 53-0 last week. But the fact that Gauchos used an ineligible player places them at serious risk of sanctions by the City Office.
Romero said in March of this year that a teacher told the administration that he was worried about the ranks of a football player. "Since Oct. 4, we determined that he was not eligible to participate," Romero said.
The teacher stated that the player's grades in the computer system did not reflect his true levels, according to Peter Hastings, Operations Manager in the Southern Local District.
"We also uncovered the reports that there have been violations," Romero said. "His eligibility was impaired due to failure to meet the 2.0-grade point average."