Motivating learners throughout this cris Poughkeepsie
Motivating learners throughout this crisis
Prepared by: Dennesha Frazer (Teachfray)
A few weeks ago, we were doing business as usual in our classrooms. We incorporated technology here and there, as the lessons required but never have we been totally reliant on that medium. When this pandemic hit our country in March of 2020, we were thrust outside our normal. Since then, almost overnight, we have had to move from the traditional classroom to a virtual one. Despite all the challenges, educators must seek to keep learners motivated to achieve. Below are 10 tips on how to do so.
1. Be emotionally intelligent. This is needed in a crisis more than any other time. As much as your life has been affected, so has the lives of your students. One of my finest students has been unable to submit all her assignments because she has had to be baby sitting. Another sent me a picture to represent the challenges of her crammed household.
Amidst these prevailing circumstances, the educator must keep in touch with the realities of the learners. Let the learner know you are aware that they are having challenges. This will keep them interested.
2. Go the extra mile. Put measures in place to mitigate some of these challenges which the learners are experiencing. I have had to be very lenient with assignment deadlines and have had to take screenshots when the actual document would have been more ideal. Also, I have had to assist students in uploading assignments so, that I could have a record of same on the selected platform for grading.
3. Attend to the individual learner. In the virtual classroom, you must reach out to greet individual students the way you would in the traditional classroom. Pause to have conversations about random things that interest them. Find out how they are doing and how they have been coping. Being caring is an element of motivation.
4. Plan with the whole constituent in mind. I have observed that, as educators have gotten excited about the various platforms and applications available to aid in online learning, they might have inadvertently made choices that have been detrimental to some learners.
Only approximately 20% of my learners have access to wifi. Most of them use a data plan which they purchase daily or weekly. Each time I prepare for a learning incident, I bear this in mind. Therefore, I download videos instead of posting links, I use a voice note instead of a live meeting and I choose a platform with an application so that assignment uploading will be low on data consumption. You cannot afford to frustrate your learners during this challenging time.
5. Teach in bite sizes. Online learning can be very overwhelming, especially for students who depend on the element of human presence to grasp concepts quickly. Therefore, to keep learners motivated as they attain new knowledge, the educator must be strategic in the volume of new contents being shared.
Therefore, in the past week, as I taught my 10th graders how to work with PowerPoint, I first had them watch a video and answer guided questions. After this, I offered them feedback and gave them an opportunity to resubmit corrections. Then and only then did I have them create a single slide with a background. When I was satisfied that they understood how to manipulate the software, I gave them a task to prepare a 5 slide presentation about their family. The submission rate was unbelievable and the quality was excellent.
6. Provide adequate learning support. To keep learners motivated, the educator must be available to offer guidance to struggling students. You must be aware that the learners who seem brightest in the traditional setting may struggle a lot in the virtual setup. Therefore, provide enough examples, supporting materials and be available to assist.
7. Use a lot of formative assessment activities. It is better to do small assessment task as the lesson progresses than to wait for the end of a topic or unit to do testing. This is as true online as it is in the traditional setup. This way, you can also motivate learners as they see themselves attaining mastery bit by bit.
8. Offer detailed feedback promptly. The learners will only remain motivated if they can track their progress. They also want an opportunity to improve their output and since the goal is mastery, the educators should be accommodating in this area.
For my students, I try to provide feedback within one or two days after they post their responses to assessment tasks.
9. Develop a rewards system. There are methods online such as a score board which could be used to rank learners and offer healthy peer competition. It is advisable that the ranking focuses on capturing at least the top 30% to heighten healthy competition.
Using an application such as ScoreKeeper, might be a great idea.
Things must also be in place to celebrate learners who may never make it to the top of the class.
10. Do not forsake traditional motivational techniques. The methods of using stamps and stickers never grow old. Recently, good old stickers were successfully used by my principal to commend teachers for maintaining excellent attendance records. It works even better for children and teens.
For the digital setup, I have created some digital stickers which can be used in the whatsapp classroom.
Please remember that Student Motivation can never grow old. It has been one of the finest methods used to keep many hundreds of learners on task when they couldn't think of another reason to do so. Keep at it.
Have fun motivating your learners throughout this crisis!
Other News United States Of America
Houston-area thunderstorm killed a man in Huntsville.
The Gulf Coast was vulnerable to gusty wind, heavy rain, and frequent lightning on Wednesday morning. The knockout of terrestrial rain and thunderstorm killed a person in Huntsville. Moreover, thousands of people got affected by it. The citizens faced a delay in reaching the testing sites sue to rain showers.
The police reported a death due to a thunderstorm and said that a tree fell on the main in the city and killed him. Currently, the state of Texas has confirmed a total of 28,087 cases in the state with 782 fatalities. Out of these cases, 5,827 cases are from Harris County, and 3,240 is from Dallas Country.
United Way of Greater Houston has raised a fund of $11.6 million.
The United Way of Greater Houston and the Greater Houston Community Foundation collaborated together to raise COVID-19 recovery fund for Greater Houston. They started the inception on March 25 and succeeded in expanding the fund to $11.6 million in a month. The fund will be used to serve people with disabilities and vulnerable to the pandemic in the city.
Steve Maislin, president and CEO of Greater Houston Community Foundation, said that they already united before for Hurricane Harvey Relief Fund. A Houston family also announced $1 million for a second matching grant to hell the people in the time of pandemic.
Workers who are homeless, crowded subways
It really disgusting and disrespect to see people who are homeless came on subways in New York city said by Gov. Andrew Cuomo. On Tuesday Gov.Cuomo angrily writes ‘next stop, purgatory’ and down was a picture of homeless people who blocked completely in subways cars. Cuomo said really had as they shut down the public transportation system due to pandemic and decided to run in order to get essential workers to their jobs. He said that the transportation system is really important to transport those who are working day and night to fight against the COVID-19 pandemic. He also said it important to continue this transportation system is safe and disinfected ways. These subway cars are disrespectful to essential workers. He said they should respect those who are putting there lives on risk to save others lives. The governor pointed out that the homeless worker should not use the transport vehicle as their home as this is really dangerous for all of them. More than 80 transit worker already died due to COVID-19. They have closed high impact station to disinfect them.
Other world news
Monika Bagárová konečne priznala „farbu”: „Mala som trému z celého tímu!” - SlovakWoman.sk
Keď produkcia televízie Markíza oznámila verejnosti, koho môžu v najnovšej sérii Superstar očakávať v porotcovských kreslách, mnohí ľudia zostali zarazení. Okrem Paľa Haberu, ktorý je v súťaži od
Ke produkcia televízie Markíza oznámila verejnosti, koho môu v najnovej sérii Superstar oakáva v porotcovských kreslách, mnohí udia zostali zarazení. Okrem Paa Haberu, ktorý je v súai od samého zaiatku, toti ostatné tváre vyvolávali mnostvo otázok. Najviac zo vetkých prekvapila práve enská as poroty zloená zo speváky Moniky Bagárovej a hereky Patrície Pagáovej. eky najnovie priznali, e ani im spoiatku nebolo vetko jedno. V rolách porotký sa speváka, ktorá zaínala v Superstar, a hereka známa zo seriálu Ulice (eský formát s viac ako 3860 dielmi vysielaný od roku 2005) ocitli vôbec prvýkrát v ivote, je to teda pre ne celkom nová skúsenos. Svorne vak tvrdia, e si miesto hodnotiacich uívajú, hoci zaiatky neboli vôbec jednoduché. Prvý de som mala trému zo vetkého z kolegov, z udí, ktorí prídu, aby som vedela, o mám poveda, aby som sa neopakovala, z reiséra… Z celého tímu vlastne,” priznala v rozhovore Monika Bagárová, priom ale dodala, e v súasnosti sa u so svojou pozíciou zila a cíti sa skvele. Ako porotkyu speváku mnohí spochybovali práve pre nedostatok skúseností v hudobnom priemysle vydala dosia dva albumy Shining (2011) a Flashback (2017). Tí, ktorí ju na porotcovskom mieste vidia radi, zas tvrdia, e je skvelé, e zaínala rovnako ako aktuálne nádejné talenty. Fakt, e sama mala z opanej strany pódia” sná rovnakú trému ako pred jedenástimi rokmi, vak priznala prvýkrát. O podobných pocitoch sa zmienila aj hereka Patrícia Pagáová, ktorá vak tie tvrdí, e s kadým jedným hodnotením je vetko ahie. Nie vdy si je ale istá tým, o poveda niekedy vraj dokonca zvauje, i sa jej dané íslo páilo alebo nie a miesto na to, aby s kritikou i pochvalami zaali, prenecháva radej tým, ktorí sa hudbe rozumejú viac. Celý rozhovor s porotkyami si môete pozrie v priloenom videu. Zdroj:TV Markíza | Foto: Instagram/bagarovamonika, TV Markíza
Nové Mesto otvára v piatok areál Kuchajdy i Jamy - SME.sk
Návštevníci budú musieť dodržiavať viaceré opatrenia.
Návtevníci budú musie dodriava viaceré opatrenia.1. máj 2020 o 7:58 TASR Vetky lánky, ktoré informujú o mimoriadnych opatreniach a základných zdravotníckych informáciách o novom koronavíruse, budú na SME.sk odomknuté a prístupné pre kadého. Povaujeme to toti za verejný záujem. Ak chcete podpori novinárov a serióznu i overenú urnalistiku, môete tak urobi kúpou predplatného BRATISLAVA. Bratislavské Nové Mesto v piatok znovu otvára pre verejnos prírodný areál Kuchajda a vonoasový priestor na port, rekreáciu a oddych Jama. Mestská as tak robí po uvonení niektorých opatrení v súvislosti s novým koronavírusom. Oba areály budú otvorené denne od 8:00 do 20:00, avak za dodriavania viacerých opatrení. Samospráva o tom informuje na svojej webovej stránke. "Do areálov bude moné vstúpi iba v ochrannom rúku a návtevníci budú musie medzi sebou dodriava bezpené vzdialenosti a hygienické podmienky," zdôrazuje mestská as. Upozoruje, e zákaz vyuíva detské ihriská a vykonáva kontaktné porty zostáva naalej v platnosti. Ihriská budú aj naalej oznaené páskou. Na dodriavanie pravidiel budú dohliada policajti Na dodriavanie hygienických a bezpenostných pravidiel budú dohliada mestskí a tátni policajti, hasii, ako aj dobrovoníci mestskej asti. Samospráva v tejto súvislosti opätovne vyzýva vetkých prípadných návtevníkov na zodpovednos. Poukazuje na to, e tak chránia nielen seba, ale aj svojich blízkych i neznámych udí. "Nechceme, aby sa z Kuchajdy a parku Jama stali miesta, kde sa bude íri nákaza, preto na dodriavanie pravidiel budú dozera hliadky, ktoré upozornia, pripomenú, poradia," napísal pred pár dami na margo termínu otvorenia starosta Nového Mesta Rudolf Kusý na sociálnej sieti. Uzavreli ho v polovici marca Nové Mesto zatvorilo areál prírodného kúpaliska Kuchajda v rámci preventívnych opatrení v polovici marca. Mnohí ho toti vyuívali aj ako skratku od Kolosea na Vajnorskú ulicu, poas víkendu boli zárove ihriská plné mamiiek s demi. Krátko predtým mestská as tie pozastavila premávku lanovej dráhy medzi eleznou studnikou a Kamzíkom.
Google Meet utvikles og driftes fra Stockholm - digi.no
Planene for tjenesten har blitt kraftig endret av koronakrisen.
Besøksadresse Grensen 3, 0159 Oslo Postadresse Postboks 380 Sentrum, 0102 Oslo Faktura-adresse: Teknisk Ukeblad Media ASPostboks 380 Sentrum 0102 Oslo Telefon/faks: 23 19 93 00/23 19 93 01